What Is the OptiLight by Lumenis & How Can It Manage Your Dry Eye?
Dry eye disease is a widespread and common issue for up to 49 million Americans. This chronic condition can have a significant impact on your quality of life, causing a foreign body sensation in your eyes, pain, blurry vision, and dry or watery eyes. Untreated, it can even lead to further eye-health complications.
Despite these constant detrimental effects on quality of life, many dry eye sufferers are not aware that they’re suffering from dry eye disease or that real treatments exist. Instead, they just live with the discomfort.
At Primary Care of Arlington we use various tools and technologies to diagnose, treat and manage your dry eye.
We complete a comprehensive dry eye assessment with every one of our patients to find the root cause of their dry eye symptoms. We do this by:
- Performing microscopic and clinical evaluations
- Taking images using various filters, lenses and dyes
- Asking our patients to complete in-depth questionnaires
Once we have completed this assessment, our optometrists will have a clear understanding of your individual needs. From here, we can create a complete treatment plan and course of action to bring you the dry eye relief you need and deserve.
We’re proud to offer OptiLight by Lumenis to our patients, specially designed for dry eye management.
What Is OptiLight by Lumenis?
OptiLight by Lumenis is a light-based, non-invasive treatment done in the area below the eyes to manage dry eye. The first and only IPL FDA-approved for dry eye management.
The treatment is safe, gentle, and is backed by more than 20 clinical studies.
How Does It Work?
OptiLight uses precise pulses of light to reduce the inflammation that is typically associated with dry eye disease, improve tear break-up time, and increase meibomian gland functionality.
This application can significantly relieve dry eye indicators and has a multi-factorial effect, including:
- Increasing tear break-up time
- Reducing the amount of demodex mites and bacteria living around your eyes
- Eliminating blood vessels that contribute to inflammation
- Improving meibomian gland functionality
What to Expect
Before Your Treatment
In order to make your OptiLight experience as seamless and efficient as possible we ask that you take the following precautions before your treatment:
- Apply sunscreen with at least 30 SPF every day for at least 2 weeks
- Avoid UV exposure as much as possible in the weeks before your appointment
- Remove all makeup and skin care products on the treatment area before coming in
- Stop taking any medications highlighted during your consultation
We strive to help treat and manage your dry eye symptoms to the best of our ability, but complete relief requires a commitment from both you and your doctor. While your doctor will go over any necessary preparations during your consultation, if you have any additional questions please don’t hesitate to call us!
During Your Treatment
This treatment is fast and simple. During the treatment your doctor will apply a coupling gel on the treatment area and cover your eyes with shields.
As light is applied to the skin, you may experience a warm sensation. The treatment is gentle with minimum discomfort. The treatment itself will only take 10–15 minutes.
OptiLight is often followed by meibomian gland expression.
After Your Treatment
After your OptiLight treatment you should expect to experience less symptoms of dry eye overall. If you experience any side effects after your procedure at all, they are often minimal and temporary. You may experience slight redness and sensitivity in the first few days, but it should go away on it’s own.
To protect your skin and increase the chances of a positive outcome, we ask that you do the following after your procedure:
- Wear sunscreen with SPF 30 or above for at least 2 weeks
- Avoid using harsh facial cleansers or scrubs on the treatment area
- If needed use a cool compress in 15 minute increments a few times a day
Part of Your Custom Treatment Plan
A course of treatment typically includes 4 sessions spaced 2–4 weeks apart.
In addition to OptiLight, our practice also offers the following dry eye treatments:
- Prescription eye drops
- Oil gland treatments
- Blinking exercises
- Eyelid cleansing therapies
Will the OptiLight by Lumenis Work for Me?
While OptiLight by Lumenis is an effective dry eye management solution, we want to make sure it’s right for you. We do not recommend this treatment if you:
- Suffer from aqueous deficiency dry eye (rather than evaporative dry eye or meibomian gland dysfunction)
- Have a history of keloid scarring
- Have severe scarring around your eyes
Ultimately, your doctor is the only person who can determine whether this option is right for you. During your next appointment, ask us if you are a good candidate for OptiLight by Lumenis.
You Don’t Have to Live With Dry Eye Anymore
Dry, irritated eyes can be managed with a new treatment that brings comfort and can restore quality of life. Visit your eye doctor to get an accurate diagnosis and a treatment plan tailored to your needs.